Tuesday 15 April 2014

JEFF BANKS CROWNS ROBERT THORPE BEST DRESSED IN ESSEX

Jeff Banks with winner Robert Thorpe
A welder and fabricator has been named the best dressed man in Essex, in a street style competition held by internationally renowned fashion designer, Jeff Banks.

Freeport Braintree’s Best Dressed Day event saw the luxury menswear designer provide fashion tips and personal styling for the outlet’s shoppers, before hitting the streets of the centre to invite male customers in the centre to take a turn on a carpeted catwalk outside his store, to be in with a chance of scooping the title and a host of other exciting prizes.

 The competition saw Thorpe, 38, battle it out against the nine other men, and later appear in a catwalk show modelling outfits from the Jeff Banks store at the popular outlet center.

All ten runners up in the competition received a makeover from celebrity make up artist, Maggie Hunt, who works with stars like Mick Jagger and George Michael, before being styled and fitted in Jeff Banks suits and formal wear, by the man behind the label.
Make up artist Maggie Hunt with Tony Baines
Alan Upton
Scott Palmer
Winner Robert Thorpe said: “I like to dress up, I feel good in suits and I'd wear one every day if I could, but I definitely didn’t expect to win this competition when I left the house this morning
“I’m going to a 40th birthday party tonight, so I came to Freeport Braintree to find an outfit to wear to that, but I’ll be wearing this outfit from Jeff Banks now! Jeff was very helpful and kind. I wouldn’t have normally gone for a tie like this, but he showed it to me and taught me how to tie it in a Windsor knot, I love the way it looks.”

Robert was cheered on at the event by his wife, Joanne, and  9 year old son, William.

Wife Joanne Thorpe said: “I am very proud of him and the holiday is an amazing surprise! He looked lovely, but he had stiff competition as all of the finalists looked very good. He’s very shy normally, and wouldn’t have paraded down a catwalk, but he did and it really surprised me!”

He took home a weekend away for two in Paris, a new outfit from Jeff Banks and a £500 Swiss Jeff Banks watch.

Meanwhile, the nine chosen finalists left with outfits from the Jeff Banks store at Freeport Braintree.

Robert Thrope
Tony Bains
Jeff Banks with Tom Meek

Jeff Banks said: Robert looked incredible! I thought I was going to have to send for the first aid kit, he was that sharp! He looked fantastic, really good. There was minimal styling needed, he loved the black suit and it really looked good on him. It was his natural personal style that made him stand out - there was something very different about him.

When the finalists were lined up, I thought it would be really difficult to find a winner. In my opinion, Essex men are born with style - they are a very fashion savvy community that knows what they want and really put on a style show. The fantastic thing is, they never stop putting the effort in, no matter what age they are.

During the catwalk shoe, Thorpe modelled a 3 piece Black Travel Suit (£220), Slim Fit White Shirt (£38), Pink and Blue Paisley Tie (£16) and matching pocket handkerchief (£12), with walnut brown side lace shoes (£80), all from the designers store at Freeport Braintree.

Josef OSullivan, Center manager at Freeport Braintree commented: Its great that our stylish male customers have been recognised for their fashion credentials. Essex men are known for the great sense of style, and everyone involved today has really enjoyed working so closely with Jeff Banks, from customers to staff.  Having such an iconic British fashion designer here at the center to hand out advice and personally fit our shoppers for suits has been incredible.
The finalists